2021 Fresh Face of Engineering
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Nominated by AIAA
Justin Wettstein became a first-generation college graduate in 2015. He started as a product development engineer at Orbital ATK/Northrop Grumman in 2016, and he became an analyst for solid rocket motor performance. His work involves qualifying rockets through static tests, analyzed flight performance, and designed the performance of future rockets. While working full time, he pursued a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Over the past few years, he has spent nearly every weekend following his passion for skiing, snowboarding, climbing, and mountain biking.
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, the University of Utah, cum laude
- AIAA Utah Young Professionals Chair
- AIAA Utah Solid Rocket Technical Committee member
Career highlights include the following:
- He is active in AIAA at the local and national levels.
- As a principal aeronautical engineer, he leads the design and analysis of solid rocket booster performance for the next generation of ICBM interceptor vehicles.
- He designed efficient loading systems for air bag explosives charges.
- He is a volunteer bike tech for a nonprofit organization.